|Back to Home Page||Shareshill Village, Staffordshire||back to Home Page|
The Church Extension
|It took a long time for our extension to get from being simply an idea to becoming a reality. |
Fund raising was obviously a major issue.
Back in 2002 our then priest-in-charge Pippa Thorneycroft and her husband John embarked on a sponsored cycle ride from the Scilly Isles to the Shetlands. This 1020 mile epic raised over £25 000. Supporters were kept up to date with progress via reports and photographs on this website.
The adding an extension onto a 500 year old, 13th century sandstone tower and brick Georgian building was not easy. Permission had to be given by both the District Council and The Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC) in the face of opposition from both English Heritage and the Georgian Group.
The inspired design by the talented architect Andrew Capper, cleverly blends Georgian and 21st century styles.
Building work and fitting out was completed in November 2009 by JC Shopfitters.
We are also grateful to Jack Moody Ltd for groundwork improvements around the church tower and extension area.
View of the narthex
View of the meeting room
View from the gallery into the extension
View of the stairs in the link building
View from the extension into the gallery
view from new kitchen through narthex and into the church
the window seet in the vestry